2 Year Cancerversary

Cancerversary...is the day that your life as you knew it ends, and a new life begins. Because no matter the outcome, life is never the same after a cancer diagnosis. 

Today marks 2 years that changed my life forever! God knows I’ve been through A LOT! What does one do to celebrate a cancerversary? Go out to dinner? Throw a party? Buy yourself something pretty? My answer is simple...You celebrate that you got to wake up this morning - and that’s enough for me!

It amazes me how much I now know about my body and the world of cancer. I know what CBC, CMP, and CA 125 levels are. I know the names of medicines that can be used for all different side effects. I know names of body parts I never even knew existed. I know the difference between a ct, pet, pet/ct, mri, X-ray, and ultrasound. I know every chemo I’ve been on and what the dosages were. I know how the port operates and how you can have more than one...it seems like such a revolutionary medical device! 

Today also marks 7 months of remission. The day I found out I was in remission was such a relief, but my very next thought was, “Does cancer ever go away?” Father Damien once said, “Things work well for those that are positive and courageous.” That’s what I did...THINK POSITIVE and carry on my life with courage! Well, a little over 2 months later...COVID-19 hits! So now a fresh newly remission patient is left to feel double trouble. Only now I have a shield - a face shield! I tell my students all the time, “Control the controllables!” 

Here is a picture of me with my dad and brother. They have taught me that life is about memories. It’s not the material things people will remember you by. It’s the memories we all create together and help create for children. 

My life as I used to know it is now over, but I will continue to think positive, be courageous, and create beautiful memories! 

Comments

Popular Posts