Cleaning up the mess




I was De-Ported today! 

I've had this unwanted guest inside my body...the chemo port. I had two. One under my ribs that was taken out 2 years ago. The other in my upper chest that has been taken out today!!! This was the day where the last physical trace of evidence has been removed. I still suffer from many side effects, however this procedure represents another hurdle I have overcome. My hair has grown back and I am no longer getting drugs pumped regularly into my body, but I still had this port as an obnoxious reminder of cancer in my chest. Besides being physically annoying, it was a constant sign of my journey, and it was one that I couldn't escape - it was literally a part of me. 

Now I've got a bandage on my chest and a wound covered in steri-strips that will take a few weeks to heal. My return to a fully normal life continues every day and soon I'll have a scar with a story instead of a chest protrusion that prevents me from lifting anything over 10 pounds. I'm so excited to start exercising regularly again. I pray that this journey has come to the end and the cancer will stay away forever!

Comments

Popular Posts